What is CBT?
- CBT is one of the most evidence based therapies around. It is widely recognised by NICE (National Institute for Clinical excellence) and NHS England. It also has the added bonus that it can often work in quite a short space of time, therefore not needing as many sessions as other forms of counselling. It’s a therapy where the problems are worked on together and in a collaborative way. Here is a link to the NHS website that explains more about CBT and what it is:
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is a talking therapy. CBT looks at how we think about a situation and how this affects the way we act. In turn our actions can affect how we think and feel. The therapist and client work together or in groups, in changing the clients behaviours, or their thinking patterns, or both of these to achieve an agreed goal and outcome. We use regular outcome measures, which are questionnaires to keep track of your progress so that you can see how far you have come and also we can tackle any areas that you may need more support on.
- There is a great deal of evidence and research to show that CBT works effectively in treating a wide range of emotional and physical health conditions. This research has been carefully reviewed by NICE, The National Institute for Health and clinical Excellence.
- NICE provides independent, evidence based guidance for the NHS on the most effective ways to treat disease and ill health for the NHS. Click here for a link to the NICE website
- I am extremely passionate about CBT. It is really important to like and trust your therapist. Its also a good idea to shop around and make sure you meet a couple of therapists to see if you get on with them and feel comfortable. There is strong evidence to suggest that if you like and trust your therapist then this can account for 40% of the likelihood of therapy working, as the therapeutic relationship is the most important factor. The actual specific therapy you choose to have accounts for about another 15% of change. So 55% of evidence based treatment that works and the other 45% comes down to the readiness of how much you, your child, or you loved ones want to get better and change. Thats pretty good odds, so if you are ready to tackle your issues and also happen to like me, well thats 100% of great therapy.
- The reason I believe that CBT works so well is that I think I am very likeable (I have been told this, although it feels a little weird blowing my own trumpet on my website). I also have a great sense of humour and genuinely care about people. I am extremely compassionate about what I do and due to the high evidence base for the effectiveness of CBT. I believe by combining this with the great therapeutic relationship I believe we can achieve, and a little sprinkling of hope for the future, I think we have the best combination to be able to work wonders.
- There is also something called Mindfulness that many of you may have heard of, I have found some amazing simple videos on how to do this, so here is Mindfulness video on exactly how to do it and another one here mindfulness introduction and exactly what it is and the most amazing part. If you are getting it wrong, then you are in fact getting it right.
- Here is a downloadable information sheet on what is mindfulness?